Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 11:59:45 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

+  PhillyFireNews.com Message Board
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  P25 Phase II Radio Systems
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: P25 Phase II Radio Systems  (Read 986 times)
closet ic

« on: October 17, 2012, 10:08:33 AM »

Quite a few Radio Systems in the Region are being converted to P25 Phase II in the coming months.  Basically an all digital system operated between 500 to 700Mhz. (I think)

It's my understanding that mobile and portable  radios for these systems average roughly into the thousands of dollars.  There is currently no Scanner on the market that is or will be capable of monitoring ther frequencies once the changes occur early next year.  Does anyone out there know of or have any other information on these changes ?

Here's another question --- Was a change of this nature actually nesessary ?
JTFIRE80
Beta Testers

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »

In regards to the radios, if the systems are designed properly, many of the current radio's will work.  It comes down to the people making the decisions not having personal agenda's or getting kickbacks.

Scanners shouldn't be an issue, unless the systems are IP based, such as the PA Opensky failure of a system/network.

Was the change necessary?? I say yes, because it's quite obvious that wireless is growing in just about every field across the country.  That said, Public safety should have been given priority over big business for the frequencies. Instead big $$ took precedence with the Gov't.  While only a small portion, research Sprint/Nextel vs. FCC vs. Public Safety to gen an idea. 
rgchristy

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 10:59:41 AM »

On 10/13, GRE released a beta firmware update for the PSR-800 scanner enabling P25 Phase 2. So far, the reports indicate that it is working fine with the new radio systems. I just did the update on mine and hope to hear the new Philly system to see how the update does.

Here's the link to the radioreference.com website forum thread:

http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/251140-p25-phase-2-firmware-update-psr-800-a.html

Take Care,

Rich C
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length